Baglamukhi at Datia at Madhya Pradesh consist of a Hindu temple and an Ashram. It is also called as ‘Tapasthali’ as there are many mythological and real people who have considered this to be a supreme place for meditation. The power of Shakti of Mother Goddess is worshiped here and it is an important place of worship. The Shivalinga of Shree Vankhandeswar Shiva is inspected and approved by the Archaeological Survey of India to be of the same age as that of the Mahabharata.
- Goddess Baglamukhi is also known as Pitambara Maa. Once upon a time, there was a huge storm that erupted over the Earth. As it threatened to destroy the entire creation, all the Gods assembled in the Saurashtra region. Goddess Baglamukhi emerged from the ‘Haridra Sarovara’, and appeased by the prayers of the gods, calmed down the storm.
- Another popular legend surrounding this temple states that there was a demon named Madan who underwent penance and won the boon of vak siddhi, according to which whatever he said, happened the exact way. Starting to take his boon as a point to torture innocent people, the heavenly livings were severely enraged, thereby worshipping Baglamukhi. The Goddess stopped the demon`s rampage by gripping his tongue and silencing his speech forever. However, before she could kill him, he requested her that he is worshiped alongside the goddess, and she yielded. That is why Madan (the demon) is shown with her together.
- Shri Pitambara Peetha is counted by the devotees among the most famous temples of Baglamukhi which was established by Bramhaleen Pujyapaad RashtraGuru Anant Shree Swami Ji Maharajin 1920s. He also established the temple of goddess Dhumavati within the ashram. Dhumavati and Baglamukhi are the two of the ten Mahavidyas.
- Pujyapaad was also referred as ‘Swamiji’or ‘Maharaj’ by the devotees. There is no individual who had any information about either his identity or his place of origin. Moreover, he too did not disclose any such facts to anyone. However, he was a Parivrajakachrya Dandi Swami, who stayed on in Datia for a long period of time. He was and still is a spiritual icon for many who visit the Peeth or have been associated with him directly or indirectly.
- During the Indo-China war, A Rashtra Anushtan Yagya was started in this temple which later was completed successfully. Maharaj Ji then thought of establishing the Dhumavati temple and also penned down the literature for the same.
- In the year 1965 or 1971, Sri Datiya Pitambara Peeth has replied with vigor and established a spiritual attack by Tantrik Anushthanam to thwart the enemy’s efforts. The retreat of the enemy’s forces took place with the completion of the anusthanam. The same was organized during the Pakistani invasion on the Kargil front.
Significance of the Baglamukhi Temple
- Shri Pitambara Peetha is one of the most famous Shakti Peetha of Baglamukhi Devi at Datia in Madhya Pradesh. It is situated at a distance of approximately 75 km from Gwalior and approximately 30 km from Jhansi.
- Pujyapaad Swamiji was a strong devotee of the Goddess Pitambara. He had a natural inclination towards the Sanskrit language but also possessed sufficient knowledge of Urdu, Persian and Arabic, English, Pali, and Prakrit languages. In addition, he was fond of classical music and various great classical musicians of that time used to visit the ashram.
- Pujyapaad had led innumerable gatherings and associations for the protection and welfare of both the humanity and the country in large. Living legend who knows about Swamiji is Pt Shri Gaya Prasad Nayak Ji (Babuji) of Garhi Malehara. Pujya Swamiji Maharaj and Babuji’s Guruji were Gurubhai.
- Some of the musicians who visited the ashram comprise of Pundit Gundai Maharaj, Siyaram Tiwari, Rajan and Sajan Mishra, Dagar Bandhu etc. One of the greatest classical musicians Acharya Brihaspati was the follower of Pujyapaad.
- Moreover, one can also find many temples of Parshuram, Hanuman, Kal Bhairav and other god and goddess stretched across the large area of Ashram.
- The Peeth is currently maintained by a trust.
- The Ashram also maintains the Sanskrit library which was established by the Pujyapaad. One can get sufficient information that explains the history of the Ashram and the secret Mantras of various kinds of Sadhanas and tantras.
- The blessings of Guruji helped Ustad Aadil Khan to recover his lost voice and from then on he became a disciple of Shri Maharaj-Ji.
- One of the distinct specialties of the Ashram can be referred to the approach to spread the light of Sanskrit language to young children, free of cost. The Ashram also conducts Sanskrit debates across the years.
- A devotee can see the Haridra Lake located in front of the main temple and at the back; there are an office and other buildings.
- No individual is allowed to carry leather items in the form of a waist belt, wallet, purse etc inside the temple premises even after removing your footwear.
- Devotees are encouraged to wear garments in yellow color during Sadhana.
Peetambara Peeth/Baglamukhi Temple Datia Aarti Timings and Schedule
Below is the complete schedule of Pitambara Peeth Datia along with aarti time.
|Baglamukhi Temple Open Time||07:00 AM|
|Baglamukhi Temple Close Time||09:00 PM|
|Day Closing Time||12 PM to 2 PM|
|Morning Aarti – Prabhat Aarti||07:00 AM|
|Evening Aarti – Sandhya Aarti||07:00 PM|
|Evening Aarti – Shringar Aarti||8.30 PM|
|Night Aarti – Badi Aarti||9.00 PM|
|Baglamukhi Prasad Time||After 12 PM|
|Dhumavati Temple Darshan Time Morning||8 AM during Prabhat Aarti|
|Dhumavati Temple Darshan Time Evening||8 PM during Sandhya Aarti|
|Dhumavati Temple Darshan Time Saturday Morning||7.15 AM to 9 AM|
|Dhumavati Temple Darshan Time Saturday Evening||5 PM to 8 PM|
Baglamukhi Temple Food Timings
- The temple provides Prasad to the devotees after 12 P.M.
- One can also offer food to the deity in the form of fruits and coconuts.
- Generally, people offer salted prasadam to the Goddess in this temple.
Festivals celebrated at the Baglamukhi Temple
- The major festivals that are celebrated in this temple with great pomp include Navaratri, Guru Purnima, and Maha Nirvana Din or the death anniversary of Maharaj-Ji. As per the Shakti system; Navaratri is a perfect and auspicious day to start a Sadhana. A community hawan is organized on the Ninth day of Navaratri. The markings of the Lotus feet of Guru are also worshiped on the day of Guru Purnima.
- Vasant Panchami is celebrated with much joy.
- Every morning Saraswati Pujan is performed.
- Evenings see the Ashram immersed in sounds of India classical music.
Baglamukhi Temple Poojas and Rituals
- There are four arati that take place in this temple. The Morning Arati takes place at 7 A.M. and the Evening Arati happens at 7 P.M. The Shringar Arati is performed at 8:30 P.M. and the Badi Arati is completed at 9 P.M.
- It is interesting to note that the Baglamukhi Mantra is one of the most powerful mantras to attain powers to control over enmity feeling of your opponents, be it human or animals. But one needs to practice it after passing a qualifying eligibility test and under the guidance of a Guru or a Qualified Sadhak who is authorized by the Peeth. There is a set of discipline to be observed by the practicing Sadhak both in terms of self-discipline and one need to also correctly pronounce the complete Mantra. One has to be strong enough to hold the power of the Mantra. It is strongly suggested not to venture under the influence of any novice Sadhak.
How to Reach: Road, Rail, and Air
- By Air– Gwalior has its own particular airplane terminal that is situated at a distance of 8 km from the primary city. Gwalior is associated via air from Mumbai, Bhopal, Indore, and Delhi. Datia, on the other hand, is 75 km far from Gwalior.
- By Train– Pitambara Peeth is located at the entrance of Datia city. The Datia railway station is located at only 3 km from the Pitambara and Bus stand is located at the distance of 1 km. There are many autos that are available from the railway station and bus stand to reach the auspicious shrine. This route is well connected by Rail from all parts of India.
- By Road– A traveler can visit this temple by road as well. There are a lot of states and private buses that ply regularly from all major cities. Overnight A/C tourist buses are available from Delhi (321 km), Indore (486 km), Agra (118 km) and Jaipur (350 km).
Hotels in Madhya Pradesh: Where to stay
There are many hotels and lodging facilities available for people to stay at Datia in Madhya Pradesh. At a distance of only 1-2 km from the Pitambara Peeth, there are many Dharamshala that offer good accommodation at competitive prices. For an individual visiting alone, putting up at dormitories is also a good alternative. For people looking for luxury, there are many hotels that provide pickup and drop services to airports and railway stations for its clients. In addition to that, these fine places of accommodation also come with its own exclusive restaurants. In order to avoid any confusion, it is better to book the rooms in advance.
Peetambara Devi Mandir Facilities, Information
It is located on main station road. Prasad shop and flower shops are located outside the temple. Trust run Prasad shops provide tasty sweet prasad (Peda, Barfi, Laddoo) at low price as compared to market. Electronic devices, mobiles, camera, leather items are prohibited in the temple. Footwear, bags, belts can be deposited at the counter located near the entry gate. Mobiles can be deposited at the mobile deposit counter by paying a fee of just 2 Rs (as per 2017 visit). Vehicles can be parked on the road. Multiple food outlets are available outside the temple.
This is a must visit place of Datia and many VIP of country including President of India visited this temple in the past. It is nice and clean temple provides good amenities to the visitors. 20 to 30 minutes are sufficient to visit this temple except Saturday. Visitors should also visit Bir Singh Palace of Datia.